DreamYard transforms Bronx public schools and communities through the power of project-based arts learning. As the largest arts education provider in the Bronx, DreamYard impacts the social and intellectual growth of thousands of Bronx students through safe, positive and creatively challenging programs. DreamYard’s professional artists partner with classroom teachers and community educators to help students learn in new ways and develop literacy and communication skills. Through year-long programs offered during the school day, after-school, on weekends and during the summer, DreamYard supports youth development, enhances life-long learning skills and promotes creative thinking and expression.
Program offerings include:
- BRONX WRITeS: a yearlong poetry slam residency program, uses standards-based literacy methods and curriculum to teach students how to write and perform original poetry.
- BRONX ARTS LEARNING COMMUNITY (BALC): a model community partnering DreamYard with 14, K-12th grade Bronx public schools dedicated to building sustainable, continuous art service programs designed to reach 100% of each school’s students.
- OUT OF SCHOOL PROGRAMS (OSP): offers after-school, Saturdays and summer opportunities for teens. The OSP include: the ACTION Project, arts and community engagement; the Bronx Acting Ensemble, pre-professional theater training; the Bronx Art Collective, visual arts and curating; and the Bronx Poetry Project, performance poetry.
- Professional Development: for public school educators to increase knowledge in a range of art forms, develop strategies for effective arts integration, share best practices and examples of outstanding student work, practice and identify quality arts education and build capacity to evaluate and assess student work and one’s practice.
- Dreamyard Preparatory School (DY Prep): a New York City Department of Education public high school with a mission to cultivate scholarship, artistry and character within its students to develop successful individuals and effective participants in the wider social and professional world.